Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Concoction #1: Apple Butter

This morning I made my first batch of apple butter!
 I don't know when it happened, but I am officially a morning person!
Good morning!!

Gluten free German Pancake for breakfast!
Totally quick and easy! Definitely a new breakfast fave!

We're going to call this batch Experiment #1 because there are some things I will definitely do differently on the next batch.

For starters I will use a sweeter apple. I used Macintosh in this experiment. That is what we picked at the orchard last week and that is the apple I prefer to bake with, besides Granny Smith. But, alas, making apple butter is not baking and I was hoping for a sweeter taste. Although it's bitter I'm sure it will work great in recipes! I plan to try out an Apple cinnamon muffin recipe later or tomorrow and I am going to sub in my apple butter for the apple sauce in the recipe.

So a little side note: use a sweeter apple for apple butter!

*FYI: No, I will not give you the recipe because it is not mine to give. If you want the recipe please go visit glutenfreeonashoestring.com or search the Gluten Free On A Shoestring page. The woman is amazing! 


 The apples are in the cauldron!

Immediately my kitchen smelled Ah-mazing!



45 minutes later: "Wands at the ready... REDUCTO!"

Seriously, Harry Potter runs through my blood because these were my exact thoughts (and words because I like to think aloud to myself.)

Anyway, my apples reduced and were on the right track. A little while longer yet for it to thicken... and BAM!


I did it! I made apple butter!

It's a little chunky still. I would have dumped it in the blender and smoothed it out but I couldn't because I recently broke my blender, but I did whip it a little with the hand mixer and then stirred with a spoon to smooth. 

Defiantly some improvements to be made next time but this will definitely work in some recipes I plan to use. 

And I can't wait to make (hopefully) improved batches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment